Splash Press Release (Press Release)–Santa Monica, CA- Sept 8th, 2010
In these uncertain economic times, one thing is certain and that is that is that ordinary Americans are facing more debt than ever. Standing ready to collect that debt is a veritable army of debt collectors; some of which employ harassing tactics to recover the debts owed to their employers.
The sad reality is that many consumers are unaware that these tactics run afoul of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). Many believe that their only hope is to take this abuse or to take other drastic actions such as changing their telephone number or even bankruptcy. That’s where the law firm of Krohn & Moss comes in.
The FDCPA was passed in 1978 and provides substantial remedies to consumers who fall victim to unscrupulous debt collection efforts. This federal statute makes it applicable to the entire country, no matter what state you live in.
A debt collector cannot:
• Telephone you an unreasonable number of times
• Telephone you at an unusual time/ unusual place
• Disclose information of your debts to third parties
• Use profane or other abusive language
• Contact you after written notification that you do not want to be contacted any further
• Claim to be affiliated with any governmental organization
• Misrepresent the character, amount or legal status of a debt
• Threaten of to take any action that cannot be taken legally
• Accuse you of having committed a crime
• Threaten or communicate false credit information
• Attempt to collect, until he honors your request to validate
• Use deceptive methods to collect debts
• Call you before 8:00 a.m. or after 9:00 p.m.
• Call you, but not announce who he/she is
. . . and more
If you have suffered from any of the abuses listed above you may have a good case under the FDCPA. These are just some of the activities prohibited under the statute. The law provides for attorneys fees in the event of a successful lawsuit therefore making the services of Krohn & Moss free to clients and most cases are settled within 30 days. This means that in most cases, the harassment ceases almost as soon as representation starts with no out of pocket costs to the consumer! It’s a no brainer if you qualify.
Substantial awards are possible for consumers as each violation of the statute provides for awards of up to $1000 (plus attorneys fees and costs) for EACH violation of the statute. That means every harassing phone call, every threat, and every instance of abusive language can mean an award of up to $1000.
Krohn & Moss accepts cases in the following states:
• District of Columbia
At Krohn & Moss we’re not afraid of creditors. We’ve made it our mission to protect and defend ordinary citizens from overzealous debt collectors for over 12 years. Our team of 27 attorneys is on your side. The creditors have teams of people on their side. You deserve a skilled, experienced team on your side. Krohn & Moss has a long and successful track record of more than 35,000 satisfied clients. It is time for you to take control of your debt situation. You don’t have to be victimized any longer. Call Krohn & Moss toll free at (800) 875-3666 or visit WeStopDebtCollectors.com to submit your case for a free review and put an end to your debt nightmares for good.